2019-02-13

Preparatory work at Dragon Mining gold mine stopped with direct action at Valkeakoski (Finland)

Preparatory work at Dragon Mining gold mine stopped with direct action at Valkeakoski (Finland) – "According to the Mining Act,explosive work cannot proceed while there are members of the public in the area" Protesters against the Dragon Mining goldmine initiated a demonstration at the Valkeakoski mining area early this morning. The company is to continue explosive work in the area, interrupted last week. The protesters of the Pelastetaan Kaapelinkulma (Save Kaapelinkulma) movement highlight that the Mining Act and its sections regarding mining safety prohibit the company using explosives while there are people in the area. The protesters have now blocked the work by entering the mining area. Officials fail to take action The Regional State Administrative Agency for Western and Inland Finland (AVI) has failed to respond to the demands of the Save Kaapelinkulma movement to suspend the work of the mining company and to initiate a proper investigation into the environmental impacts of the mine. The protesters at Valkeakoski criticize the officials for putting the interests of the mining company before the legitimate concerns of the local community. One of the most recent examples of this, the protesters say, is the decision of the Pirkanmaa Centre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment (ELY) to dismiss the investigation of impacts on groundwater and waterways, initiated by the movement. The ELY centre bases its decisions on Dragon Mining-provided information of the impacts of the mine. Protesters against the mine organize at Pirkanmaa The Save Kaapelinkulma movement, initiated at the turn of the year, has organized several protests at the planned Kaapelinkulma mine and managed to halt the preparatory work at the area. The movement has also organized a popular demonstration in Valkeakoski, as well as a public discussion on issues related to the mine. The movement has expanded to Tampere, where an informational event has been organized. More information: kaapelinkulma@riseup.net Photographs for media use (please, give credits): https://www.flickr.com/photos/167161594@N05/

Pelastetaan Kaapelinkulma (Save Kaapelinkulma) movement

Kommentera

captcha